Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Go! Team!

I'm just lifting my heart out of bed
with muscles made of lemons, yeah: lemons.
I love the way morning turns grayer than dawn's pink
or the childlike way that the rhythm of the B.Q.E.
rocks me to sleep when you're not here.
You get prime space in my mind.
Are you sitting? Well when you stand
there are famous people right next
to you all akimbo with definite chillaxing
and super-ridiculous pulmonary effort.
I mean, I'm on to you and all the things
you stand for, on, and over and out. I can't
lift you higher than I did while kissing
that little love button that says "go go."
And then I do get up because maybe I've had
enough and I can do this in style
but I'd rather you found me dancing
all jazzed and joyful for simply being
awake at all in this rabid century.
Are you on my team? I would like to start
a team and I would like you on it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Just fabulous. "Love Button"

Um, Yeah!

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Kimberly said...

Love.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I support this poem!

2:22 PM  
Blogger hmla2599 said...

This made gummy bears inside my head cheer.

But now that they have finished galavanting, I will send this poem to the person it reminds me of
a commander of sorts
of gummy bear armies.

Thank you.

I found your poetry in a Poemfone anthology ten years ago, at least. Probably longer than that. I lost the book and found it recently and remembered that your poems resonated the most, your name on the tip of my tongue's memory.

The stranger thing is that these poems, the new poems, resonate much louder. There's more chanting, more cheering. Definitely drumbeats.

3:18 AM  
Blogger lw said...

...you...mister...you like to act like you're a hardass triathelete...I've seen you in person, all buff and kind of snotty..in a cute-brooklyn kind of way. I'm onto you. but really you're just a darn romantic. Aren't you?.. And all kidding aside, truly really for real, my teacher-friend, I'd like to join your team too. lovely...all those creamy centers.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Jill Kitchen said...

Rabid century indeed. Lovely poem, one to be read out loud for sure.

Thanks, Todd, for the blog link, the info on the reading in a couple of weeks, and the running encouragement. I went for a great starter run today at 6:30am! Now I just need to get me some poetry shoes so I write without fail everyday...

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home