Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Guess What I Did?

I was really thinking of doing something
pleasant like writing your name in the snow
with my foot in giant letters. There
were lights on in apartments, all
warm and yellow and inviting. I ran
past the corner we kissed because
that corner might have bits of us
pressed into the sidewalk, so much
as a hair fell and is still there from one
of us, so I kept thinking of that. All my parts
are intact. Stooping to say hello to a
little buddy all clownish and bracketed
by affection. A street can mean so much
more when we give it meaning we dilly
dally for days until the seasons change
and what was once cold and unforgiving
is now sticky and solid. My word, what
I said was I just so adore you and that's
good you know that big time. It's all falling
into place with your help me lift you up too.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Kimberly said...

I like you and your words, Todd Colby!

8:18 AM  
Blogger hmla2599 said...

The streets hold on long after we do, sometimes.

They hold lips gracing in a torrential rain downpour
down a street I now walk by to get to work and don't think
of lips, only coffee or other people.

This poem is warm and embracing.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Joanna said...

I like this. Esp. the lines, "Stooping to say hello to a/
little buddy all clownish and bracketed/ by affection." (I guess that was about me?) Also, "we dilly/ dally for days until the seasons change"-- right??

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home