Friday, January 19, 2007

Friday Reading

"A person who, all his life, has been used to living in a certain city and is finally compelled to move elsewhere is of course saddened by the prospect of being thrown into a new environment--but what is it that makes him sad? Is it not the prospect of leaving the place that was for years his home, but the much more subtle fear of losing his attachment to this place. What makes me sad is my creeping awareness that, sooner or later--sooner than I am ready to admit--I will integrate myself into a new community, forgetting and forgotten by the place that now means so much to me. In short, what makes me sad is the awareness that I will lose my desire for (what is now) my home."
-Slavoj Zizek, How to Read Lacan, p.68

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home